Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Baby Bites...Homemade Animal Crackers

I still have a recipe page from an animal cracker-making kit

I got when I was young.

The other night Jonah and I decided to try them.

Here is our health-i-fied version:).




1/2 cup butter, softened

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/3 to 1/2 cup honey

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 teaspoon lemon extract (don't omit this!)

1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour

1/4 cup flaxseed meal

1/2 teaspoon baking powder


Beat butter, sugar, honey, egg, and extracts together; set aside.

Blend flour and baking powder together, mix into butter mixture.

Refrigerate for one hour wrapped in waxed paper (I didn't do this and it was fine).

Roll to 1/4 inch thickness, and cut with animal cookie cutters.

Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 6 minutes at 350.




Our animal cookie cutters were inaccessible,

so besides the circle and heart that we had,

we made kitties, fish, and triangles.


Yum yum...enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Ooh-- I remember these. I like your healthier version, and will have to try these with Hannah!
    (I love your creative use of the cookie cutters you had, too!)

    ReplyDelete