
I was excited to open another of Dandi Daley Mackall's rhyming books, this one entitled "When God Created My Toes". From head to toe, the book goes through body parts and asks intriguing questions about what it is like when God creates a child. An example is, "When God created my hip, did I hear him say, 'Hip, hip, hooray!'? Did we do a double flip when God created my hip?" The illustrations are soft, fun, and energetic, and pair well with the quizzical nature of the book. And although I can imagine some children asking questions like are asked in the book, I had a bad feeling as I read along, and came to the conclusion that I do not think the book is completely reverent, but rather detracts from God's greatness, awe, and the fact that His thoughts and purposes are much higher than ours. I am glad that the book points to God as the perfect Creator of every part of our being, but we cannot bring God down to a human level. Plus, the illustrations show one instance of a little girl being naughty with her hands, and that is not at all why God created hands! The book does not even speak of the mind, heart, or soul of a child, which is the most important part! I was very disappointed in this book.
*I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.




No comments:
Post a Comment